Low Fat Chicken Enchiladas
The following recipe was something I found on Pinterest so I can’t take credit for it, but it was so good so I thought I’d share on here as well (pics below are mine, not from Pinterest).
What you need:
For the sauce:
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-2 tbsp chipotle chilis in adobo sauce
- 1 1/2 cups tomato sauce
- 1/2 tsp chipotle chili powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 3/4 cup fat free chicken broth
- salt and fresh pepper to taste
For the chicken:
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 8.5 oz (2 breast halves) cooked shredded chicken breast
* * * For easy pulled/shredded chicken, place 2-3 chicken breasts in crock pot and fill with enough water or chicken broth to cover. Place on high for 4 hours. When chicken is cool enough to handle, pull apart chicken with two forks. * * *
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 large clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp chipotle chili powder
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 6-8 (7-inch) reduced carb whole wheat flour tortillas
- 1 cup shredded low fat Mexican cheese
- non-stick cooking spray
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions or cilantro for topping
In a medium saucepan, spray oil and sauté garlic. Add chipotle chiles, chili powder, cumin, chicken broth, tomato sauce, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 5-10 minutes. Set aside until ready to use.
Heat the vegetable oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté onions and garlic on low until soft, about 2 minutes. Add chicken, salt, cilantro, cumin, oregano, chili powder, tomato sauce, chicken broth, and cook 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
Spray a 13 x 9-inch glass baking dish with non-stick spray. Put 1/3 cup chicken mixture into each tortilla and roll it.
Place on baking dish seam side down, top with sauce, then top w/ cheese.
Cover w/ aluminum foil and bake in the oven on the middle rack for 20-25 minutes. Top w/ low fat sour cream or scallions if you’d like.
Served with black beans and spanish rice. 🙂